Monday, August 17, 2015

"Guinness Lactate" Meat Free Vegetable Soup

I am in New York with my Sister who became a New Mom August 1st. She moved here with her Husband's job in November of 2014 and became pregnant right away! 

My Brother in law just got promoted at work and he truly loves his job but he has to travel with work. So since Angie works from home as a beachbody coach and I work at the Spa part-time and as a Coach I was able to block out my schedule and make time for her and my new Niece.

My Sister is a Vegetarian and only eats some fish, cheese and eggs. 
I wanted to create this Irish tradition but make it meat free and still with flavor! 



Servings: about 6 large portions 
~ Freezes Well ~ 

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions, peeled and chopped (Use 1 or a light onion, Vidalia  if Mommy is not a fan) 
6 small celery stalks, chopped into bite-sized pieces
16 ounces (1 lb) portobello button mushrooms, cleaned, de-stemmed, and sliced
1 tablespoon Brown Rice flour
One 11.2-ounce bottle of Guinness Stout or more 14.5 oz in a can ***Some people say that Guinness is not vegetarian based on its processing.  If you are a strict vegetarian or vegan, please use another brand of beer.

I'm just creating a vegetarian Guinness vegetable soup for lactation (Yes) and my Irish roots!
lol! My niece Braeleigh is gonna call me Cray Cray! I cleaned this old recipe up made it meat free and packed it full of flavor!
I used 11oz of beer so I had 3.5oz left!!
Like any good Irish girl I drank it! 

4-5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
3 lb (about 3-4 large) Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon vegetable base (at home I used Better Than Bouillon or anything sodium free organic but I forgot it so I used a trader joe's Roasted Red pepper and tomato soup! )


2 tablespoons tomato paste ( now my sister did NOT have this at 7 am when I started the soup... so I used a organic trader joe's box of tomato soup) 
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
4 cups water
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
I cleaned out the Fridge with this veggie soup and added a little fennel, fresh green beans and I even cooked and added quinoa to her bowl to "beef" it up since she is nursing and this was our dinner. At taste it was a little sweet with the tomato soup so I added a little balsamic vinegar to taste as well.  


Instructions
1.  Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
2. Add the onion, celery, and the mushrooms, stirring frequently until softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the flour to the mixture and stir to coat and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Carefully pour the bottle of Guinness over the mixture, and stir to scrape up any browned bits.
5. Add the remaining vegetables and ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Decrease the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes.


I am a "meat eater" and I honestly missed the meat taste with this recipe but for my vegetarian Sister this soup was excellent! It had flavor and comfort! If I make it for my Husband and I with meat I use a "bone based" broth from my local free range farmer. Add 2 1/2 pounds of boneless beef chuck sliced lean.
I added cooked quinoa but you can use barley like pictured below or brown rice!

Enjoy!! 

Guinness Stew with Meat, Barley and Vegetables 

No comments:

Post a Comment