- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) gourmet mushrooms, chopped. I used baby portabella mushrooms.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp of minced herbs. I used rosemary, sage, thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
Quinoa cooking directions:
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in the hot oil until browned, about 5 minutes; set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa to the melted butter and let it brown, about 3 minutes. Pour the chicken broth over the quinoa; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in the sauteed mushroom mixture and cook another 2 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
You will need 4 Cornish Hens to stuff. Spray baking pan with olive oil. Fill the cavities of the hens with the quinoa mixture. Twist the wings of the hens behind their backs, and if you like, tie the legs together. Put the hens breast-side up in a roasting pan. Coat the hens with the olive oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook at 400o in preheated oven until hen reaches 180F internally. About 90 minutes.
Let the hen rest about 5 minutes out of the oven. Cut hen in half with cleaver and serve.
What is quinoa and why is it good for me?
Quinoa is a seed that can easily be prepared like whole grains yet it only takes 10-15 minutes to cook! It provides all the 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Quinoa is also gluten-free and cholesterol-free! Just like tea, quinoa is also known to be rich in antioxidants. Thus, it essentially helps your body fight and get rid of free radicals that are considered to be harmful.
Weight loss is another benefit you can gain from quinoa. It contains all the nutrients that your body needs; but at the same time, it gives you the feeling that you are already full. It also contains a good amount of fiber to help cleanse your colon. Cleansing your colon not only helps you lose weight but keeping your colon clean is necessary to fight cancer.