Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thanksgiving Day Tips,Tricks, and Recipe Ideas!!

I love Thanksgiving it is a holiday about family and friends but like most holidays it is surrounded by food!! It is a hard one to break tradition and change but I have found a way to let myself enjoy and not feel guilty or stuffed and uncomfortable after!
 
tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control,
Thanksgiving pants
 
I plan to start my day with a workout this way I will burn a few calories right out of the gate!! You could start your day with a walk of turkey run!! Or even plan a walk for after dinner!!
I will eat my normal breakfast and spice it up a little with my Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal have my eggs for protein and black coffee!!
tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control, breakfast ideas
 
 
 
TIP: Never skip a meal just because you have a big meal later!! This will starve your body and make your body go into starvation mode hold calories, and slow down your metabolism!!
 
 
 


 If you are having guest and you don't want to over kill them with PUMPKIN!! (for me more is better!!) I would make one of my favorite breakfast bakes! Blueberry French toast bake or Oatmeal Bake.  Both are amazing and simple and I have made it for guests and they love it!!
 
 
 
 
tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control,
 


Depending on what time you have dinner you will want to have a snack 3 hours after breakfast. For me this will be my Shakeology I have it everyday for my daily dose of vitamins and both my Husband and I will have our daily shake so we are less likely to snack at Moms and for me it will help fight cravings for the day!




 I can snack on veggies when I get to my Moms if I am feeling a little hungry. I plan to make and take a veggie tray so I have this option and if you are headed to a party this is a veggie tray that will OOH and AW your friends!!

tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control,
My Mother will make the Turkey, stuffing (my favorite) and mashed potatoes and it is my job to bring a veggie side and veggie tray!!. My Brother will bring the pies!!
 I plan to make two sides 1 being the roasted root medley and the other Brussels sprouts and I will share with you those recipes below!
The key to staying on track for Thanksgiving is going to be portion control!! If you look at your plate you want to fill the majority of your plate with veggies and 4oz lean (no skin) turkey breast as your protein 1/4 th of your plate. The same goes for the stuffing and mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes 1 cup or the size of your closed fist 1/4 th of your plate.
So I am a LOVER of mashed potatoes and stuffing so I plan to have a little taste of both.
tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control,
Thanksgiving Plate control
 
For more tips on Eating Clean and Portion Control click here!!
 
 Now with every holiday comes ALCOHOL a glass of wine with dinner or a beer if you are my Husband!! And my trick for that is every drink I have I must drink a whole glass of water in between!! You will be amazed at how much less you drink!! I think we drink more just because we are thirsty!!
 
Pomegranate Fizz-
  I am a big punch person so I always like to have a punch bowel out with a fun drink.  Here's what will be on my table this year.

Ingredients: 

Pomegranate Fizz-
  • 2 oz pomegranate juice
  • 1/2 to 1oz triple sec
  • 5 oz chilled champagne
  • Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
  • 6-8 pomegranate seeds
  • Grated lemon rind zest

Preparation:
In a champagne flute pour the pomegranate juice.  Add the liquer, if using, then the champagne or sparkling water.  Top with a few pomegranate seeds and grated lemon rind.
I am just going to make a larger batch and pour it into a punch bowl.


 
 
tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control, Alcohol, try your best to limit.   
Alcohol is full of sugar and empty calories so you need to ask yourself, is this short term sacrifice of drinking worth the long term results of me feeling amazing in my body and having the confidence to put myself out there!
 
 
What is the big finish with every Thanksgiving we end the meal with PIE!! You can skip this holiday treat and have Shakeology Pie or Chocolate Macaroons!!! If you can't live with yourself and really want PIE!!  Have a small slice to satisfy your holiday craving!! I am not a baker but I have found two ways to clean up pumpkin pie if you are trying to avoid sugar or just want to substitute if you are more of a salty lover like myself!
Try this!!!
 

Double Chocolate Macaroons
 
Ingredients:
  • 8 oz dark chocolate (60% cocoa or greater) chopped, divided
  • 1 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane juice
  • 3 tbsp natural unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a small microwave safe bowl, melt 3 o chocolate in microwave on high for 45 seconds.  Stir and continue to microwave on high for 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted.  Set aside and cool.
  • In a large bowl, whisk coconut, cane juice, cocoa powder and salt until well blended.  Stir in melted chocolate until just combined.
  • In a small bowl, whisk egg whites and vanilla and almond extracts until combined.  Add egg white mixture to coconut mixture and stir until well blended. Scoop level 1 tbsp and pinch into a low pyramid shape; transfer to baking sheet.  Repeat with remaining batter making 24 macaroons.  Bake for 14 to 15 minutes, until outer layers are firm, bottoms are lightly browned and centers remain soft.  Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
  • In a microwave safe bowl, melt remaining 5 oz chocolate in microwave for 45 seconds.  Stir and continue to microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted.  Carefully holding each macaroon upside down by its base, dip peaks into chocolate. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet in the refrigerator until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.  Then store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Here's the full pumpkin pie recipe with step by step directions!!!
Or
 
Need more tips or do you just want to hear it from me watch this!!
 
 
What I have found is if you go into the day with a plan of attack you will have success, you will not feel guilty and you can wake up feeling good that you know Aunt Bertha LOL!! will not seek you out and say I could never do your diet thing you can't even have a slice of pie or the all famous just eat it!! It won't kill you!! 
 
tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control,
 
 
Here is the two veggie sides I plan to make and take!!
 
 
tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control,
Thanksgiving side dish
 
Roasted Root Medley
Roasted Root Medley
(Makes 4 serving) 
  Ingredients
  2 medium yam, cut into 1-inch chunks
  2 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch chunks
  2 medium beet, cut into 1-inch chunks
  2 medium onion, peeled, cut into large wedges
  3 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Himalayan salt (to taste; optional)

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 400° F.
2.Combine yam, carrot, beet, onion, and oil, plus salt (if desired), in bowl or dish; mix well.
3.Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, turning once or twice, or until tender

tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control,
Thanksgiving side dish
 
 
Brussels Sprouts
 
Makes: 10 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time:
Total Time:

Preparation


  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. If sprouts are very small, cut in half; otherwise cut into quarters. Cook the sprouts until barely tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, until brown but not crisp, 3 to 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel. Pour out all but about 1 tablespoon bacon fat from the pan.
  3. Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned, reducing the heat if necessary, about 4 minutes. Stir in thyme (or savory) sprigs, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high, add the Brussels sprouts, and cook, tossing or stirring occasionally, until tender and warmed through, about 3 minutes. Remove the herb sprigs. Add the bacon, thyme (or savory) leaves and lemon juice, if using, and toss.


    Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, rinse with cold water; store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Finish with Steps 2-3, 15 to 20 minutes before serving
tips, tricks, thanksgiving, eat clean, holiday food, Holiday help, lose weight, stay on track, sweet potato, beets, Brussels sprouts, Sara Stakeley, cooking, change, your health, portion control,
Hope this helps you have a plan or get a few tips and tricks!! Have a happy Holiday and remember be social spend time with family and friends!! The more you talk the less likely you are to eat!!  ~ Sara

 

No comments:

Post a Comment