Friday, November 8, 2013

Hot Sausage Kale Soup

 
I love Kale in a salad but when the colder weather hits it is great in soups too!! This is a family secret recipe!! Shh!! don't tell Aunt Ellen I posted it here! LOL! But honestly if you where going to be know for creating something amazing and EASY!! It would be this soup. I like to add a little  raw Kale salad on top of mine my Husband does not he will add a little parmesan cheese and dip a crusty roll with his soup. For me soup can be a meal and this soup is packed with protein from the kale and the beans as well as the turkey sausage. It's a complete meal in a bowl !! From my Bucuren family to your!! ~Enjoy!! 
 
Sara Stakeley
Hot Sausage Kale Soup
 

3 links of hot turkey sausage links
1 green pepper-chopped chunky
2 medium cooking onions-chopped chunky
2 or more cloves garlic-diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1-28oz diced tomatoes
fresh kale-leaves chopped I use 3 large leaves
6 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
2-15oz cans navy or northern beans
1 cup Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Whole Grain elbow macaroni cooked per pkg directions
 
    Simmer sausage links in a little water. Drain, cut into bite size pieces and set aside. Saute' pepper, onions and garlic in oil, in the same pot, about 5 min. Add tomatoes, chicken broth and chopped kale carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and discard stems. Simmer about 30 min. Add beans and cooked macaroni and cooked sausage about 5 min before serving, to heat through.
 
Tip: I like the kale like a Kale salad on top steamed just a little so I save half for on top just before serving !!  
This soup is freezer friendly!! And you will have extra Kale so I will either steam what I have and freeze it or make kale chips!!



Kale chips
Kale Chips


Sara Stakeley

1 bunch of Kale
1 teaspoon of sea salt ( or seasoned salt)
I use salt and vinegar seasoning from Buffalo wild wings!
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
  3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment