Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Diary of a FoodAholic week 2!!

travel, eat clean , stay on track, week two, get healthy, travel food, foodaholic, Sara Stakeley, seafood, wedding travel, family, stay on track, packing, planes, TSA, change your health,
 
So this week I was traveling and I had a amazing trip with my Mother and Sister!! We flew into Charlotte where my Sister lives and drove to Charleston SC to do some pre wedding planning!!
travel, eat clean , stay on track, week two, get healthy, travel food, foodaholic, Sara Stakeley, seafood, wedding travel, family, stay on track, packing, planes, TSA, change your health,
My Mom, Me and my Sister
 
 I had my meal packed for the plane since we would be traveling during dinner and I didn't want to rely on time or airport choice!! We left for the airport around 2:00 in the afternoon and I wasn't going to eat until about 5 or 6 so I researched my recipes and made my favorite Southwest Quinoa salad because I knew it was always better the day after I make it and it doesn't have anything that can spoil if not kept super cold!! You get 24 grams of protein in 1 cup of Quinoa and it was perfect complete meal for travel!!
travel, eat clean , stay on track, week two, get healthy, travel food, foodaholic, Sara Stakeley, seafood, wedding travel, family, stay on track, packing, planes, TSA, change your health,
Quinoa salad

Here is a few tips I have learned from TSA friends about traveling with homemade goodies!! You want to have it be solid and if you have any liquid or sauce it is best to freeze it to solid it should defrost enough in your travels to eat but if not you can always ask for a cup of hot water from the flight attendant 1/2 full and place your ziplock bag of sauce in the hot water to heat a little!!

travel, eat clean , stay on track, week two, get healthy, travel food, foodaholic, Sara Stakeley, seafood, wedding travel, family, stay on track, packing, planes, TSA, change your health,
Creative Ice Pack



I wanted to keep my salad a little cool and also pack a few snacks!! So I decided to freeze my cheese sticks and have a cold snack as well as a chilled salad TSA approved!!

I packed my cooler with nuts as a snack and packed my shakeology and shaker cup as my back up dinner plan!!
I removed my cooler from my carry on bag and placed it in a bin by itself (TSA tip) my friend said this was best so if you run into a problem they don't take your entire bin and hold your shoes (ext) for testing!!





travel, eat clean , stay on track, week two, get healthy, travel food, foodaholic, Sara Stakeley, seafood, wedding travel, family, stay on track, packing, planes, TSA, change your health,
TSA Approved Dinner


I just left my salad in a ziplock plastic container and crossed my fingers!!
And we made it no questions asked!

I packed two plastic bowls 1 for my Mom and 1 for myself and spoons!! Dinner served!!

Now for the rest of my trip I planned out my cheat meal for Sunday night in Charleston and had SEAFOOD on the brain!! Anytime I see palm trees or smell the salt water in the air I need to have seafood!! We found a cute little place by our hotel called Aw Shucks and glanced at the menu outside on the wall before we decided to give it a try!




We had a two seafood pots that we shared for the table and it was filled with steamed crab legs, oysters, muscles, clams, shrimp a small cob of corn and a few red skin potatoes. We decided to skip the sausage and add more seafood!! It was really good!!



 My cheat at dinner was a two Local Brew Beers!
 
 
 
I really enjoyed Charleston it has a old world charm and the houses here are amazing and you can just imagine the old hoop skirt southern bells hanging out on the wrap around porches in the city!
 
All this charm and close to the beach with beautiful weather I can see how everyone I talked to said you will want to move once you see it !!
 
travel, eat clean , stay on track, week two, get healthy, travel food, foodaholic, Sara Stakeley, seafood, wedding travel, family, stay on track, packing, planes, TSA, change your health,      We stayed for one night and spent the first day walking the streets and visiting the locations for the wedding in May.  We will stay about 15 min away in isle of palms in a beach house so we really get the best of both worlds!! 
So I was able to stay on track for the most part and the food tasting for the wedding was created by a local caterer that creates whole food creations and it was really good!!
travel, eat clean , stay on track, week two, get healthy, travel food, foodaholic, Sara Stakeley, seafood, wedding travel, family, stay on track, packing, planes, TSA, change your health,
Beach Time!!
 
Now that we are headed home and back to reality I set up my meal plan on Friday before I left so once I get back I can spring into action since I am back to work on Wednesday. I plan to pick up a few fresh food items after work but I have my proteins at home and since my Husband is home he can set out our salmon to defrost in the fridge tomorrow nights home cooked meal.
I have been eating this way for a little over two years and I feel like it is easier and the things I have learned and over the years have helped me in my travels as well. I really think it is important to have a plan when you are away and a bit of a backup just in case! It doesn't take long to plan and pack for grab and go snacks!!
 
Week 2 in the bag and staying on track while traveling I feel was a big success! 
The holidays are coming so we will be home for the next few months!!  
 
For more tips and tricks or if you would like more advice message me s_bucuren@hotmail.com
 
Sara Stakeley :) 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 


 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment