Makes: 6 cups
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp, 26/30 size, peeled and deveined, tail on
- 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 all-natural low-sodium turkey sausage, sliced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and discarded, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 1/2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup all-natural instant brown rice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together all ingredients except cooking spray, mixing well until combined.
- Prepare 2 foil pouches. Spray each piece of foil with cooking spray. Divide mixture evenly among both pieces of foil and seal.
- Place pouches on a baking tray and slide onto middle rack of preheated oven for 25 minutes or until rice and proteins are fully cooked. (NOTE: When cooked, rice will be soft and proteins will be firm and opaque.) To test for doneness, carefully open 1 pouch and taste a few grains of rice from the center of the pouch. If necessary, close pouch and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Carefully open pouch and pour mixture into a large serving bowl; serve immediately.