When I came across this awesome recipe from my coach, Melanie Mitro's page, I knew I had to try it. So here it is: these babies will fill you up, satisfy that sweet tooth, are portable for an on-the-go snack, AND taste like Fall all rolled up into a little granola bar. Best part? You don't need to be a Top Chef to mix these up - that's really all there is: mixing, oh and a little pressing. Let's rock!
- 3 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 85% dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 by 8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Chop your dark chocolate into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, spices and salt together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk pumpkin, applesauce, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over the oats and stir well, until all of the oats are coated. Stir in the dark chocolate and almonds.
- Evenly press oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. The pumpkin keeps the bars moist, so make sure they are golden and set-you don't want them to be under baked. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Makes 10-12 granola bars.