|1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground beef|
|1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped|
|1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced|
|28 oz canned crushed tomatoes|
|15 oz canned tomato sauce|
|1 tsp table salt|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|1/2 tsp dried basil|
|1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste|
|1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese|
|1 1/2 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided|
|6 item(s) uncooked lasagna noodles, no-cook|
|1/2 cup(s) shredded parmesan cheese, strong-flavored like Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano|
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Remove cover; turn off heat and season to taste, if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes. Yields 1/6th of dish per serving.
- To boost your vegetable intake, add a can of zucchini in tomato sauce to the meat mixture. You can also add 2 cups of sliced shiitake mushrooms to the beef mixture.