It's a Holiday weekend and if you are headed out for the weekend here is a fun at home or away recipe!! Enjoy!!
Be sure to set aside room in your cooler for the chicken and other refrigerated items!
- 2 chicken breasts (~1 lb)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 whole wheat pitas
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 stalk romaine lettuce, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Your choice of tzatziki sauce from your local grocer
I recommend combining all spices in a single container prior to departure!
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and black pepper
- Slice chicken breast into 1-inch pieces (strips or cubes, whichever you prefer).
- Place chicken in marinating bag with olive oil and spices. Mix in bag until chicken is evenly coated with marinade. Marinate for as long as possible before cooking.
- Transfer chicken to several tin foil packets, sealing and placing over campfire or grill. Cook through, usually about 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken breasts reaches 165 degrees F. While chicken is cooking prepare vegetables.
- Assemble: Load pita with chicken, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Wrap in foil and warm over fire if desired. Add in tzatziki sauce before serving.