Southwest Quinoa Salad
Gluten Free and Vegetarian
Makes: 8 cups
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted, or 1 tsp ground cumin
- High-heat cooking oil (such as sunflower, safflower, peanut or grape seed oil), as needed to lightly coat grill grate
- 2 cobs fresh corn, husks and silk removed (or 1 1/4 cups frozen corn, thawed)
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 zucchini or yellow zucchini squash, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add quinoa and cumin. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat an outdoor grill to medium-high and lightly oil grate with cooking oil. Add corn, close lid and grill, turning once, until tender and lightly charred, 10 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, boil cobs in a large pot of simmering water. Cover and cook until tender, 6 to 10 minutes.) Let corn cool, then cut kernels from cob.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, corn kernels, beans, tomato, zucchini and onion. Pour lemon-cilantro dressing over top and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate salad for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to meld, or up to 2 days.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup Southwest Quinoa Salad): Calories: 221, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 4.5 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 23 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
If you try it let me know what you think !!
Enjoy !! Sara